Thursday 21 April 2011

FST-7: The Beginning

OK, I haven't been updating my blog for more than a week now. If you're wondering, yes, I didn't update my final session of DTP on chest & backs. And please don't ask me to do it because I forgot almost every single detail of the workout. What I can tell you is that I wasn't able to complete the whole routine. I cheated a couple of sets for my pecs and I did only the first couple of sets for my backs. I literally did not sleep the previous night but no excuses! SUPER DUPER FAIL!!! I did make it up the next day by doing some backs exercise though. My backs felt sore after that day so what the heck!

Another thing is that because I have to dedicated much more time on my studies for my exams, I may have to slow down on this bodybuilding blog thing and update after every 2~3 workouts. I'm not sure what I'll do though. Muahahaha!!!

I took a full week off after 3 weeks of grueling workouts with DTP. I was supposed to start off with legs on Sunday but after 3 nights of insufficient sleep, bringing my friends from York to run around Edinburgh, I was spent. I slept day and night for 2 freaking days and with my reports deadlines due on Monday AND Tuesday (with my kind of working habit, DUH! Of course), I wasn't able to find time to workout at all. So TODAY, I finally found the time and energy to tear the gym down. Though last minute, I decided to head on with the infamous FST-7 for arms.


I started off with tri's rather than bi's. Thought of switching things up a little.


I started with some messed up tri-set of v-bar pushdown then warmed up with triceps dips, 3 x 10, body-only. Just to get a decent pump in the beginning.

F-portion -- Close-grip bench press. It's because it's such a compound movement that hits all 3 heads of the tri's and promotes blood flow into the tri's.
12 x 40kg (88lbs)
10 x 45kg (99lbs)
11 x 40kg (88lbs)
10 x 40kg (88lbs)

S-portion -- Skull crushers. Since it's all about stretching the muscles, what better way to fully stretch the tri's than skull crushers?
12 x 20kg (44lbs)
12 x 20kg (44lbs)
11 x 25kg (55lbs)
10 x 25kg (55lbs)

T-portion -- Bench dips. Usually there isn't any T portion for arms but I decided to do a little more today since my body became pretty good at handling high stress now. But I figured a compound movement will be good.
12 x body only
12 x 10kg (22lbs)
10 x 20kg (44lbs)
10 x 20kg (44lbs)

7-portion -- Rope pushdown. Here comes the gruesome one. The weight isn't the point here, it's holding at full contraction while trying the best to forced the knuckles down and bring the hands as far apart as possible.
12 x 20.4kg (45lbs)
12 x 22.8kg (50lbs)
10 x 27.2kg (60lbs)
12 x 22.8kg (50lbs)
11 x 22.8kg (50lbs)
10 x 22.8kg (50lbs)
10 x 22.8kg (50lbs).


Now bi's. I didn't warm up and went straight into it.

F-portion -- Seated dumbbell curls. A compound movement like this is always good to be done first for bi's. I did simultaneous curls instead of alternating except for the last 3 reps of the last set. My bi's were really failing at that time.
12 x 8kg (18lbs)
12 x 10kg (22lbs)
10 x 12kg (26lbs)
10 x 12kg (26lbs)

S-portion -- Standing barbell curls. Yes, a little weird to choose this one for the S-portion but I did. My reason behind was that barbell curls allows me to go down to full extension because of the weight loaded on the bar, forcing my bi's to stretch in a way.
12 x 30kg (66lbs)
11 x 30kg (66lbs)
10 x 30kg (66lbs)
10 x 30kg (66lbs)

T-portion -- Dumbbell preacher curls. Instead of a compound movement like what I did for my tri's earlier on, I tried on something with a little more isolation. Just wanted to feel the difference at this stage. And since bi's is a much smaller muscle than tri's, I reckoned 3 sets was enough.
10 x 10kg (22lbs)
10 x 8kg (18lbs)
10 x 8kg (18lbs)

7-portion -- Dumbbell spider curls. I've always liked spider curls as an isolation exercise for my bi's. It never fails to give me the pump I love.I usually keep my hands supinated at all times, but because I was pounding so many sets with previous exercises bringing my bi's to near failure so many times, I had to pronate my hands a little on full extensions during the last 2 sets.
12 x 8kg (18lbs)
10 x 8kg (18lbs)
10 x 8kg (18lbs)
11 x 8kg (18lbs)
10 x 10kg (22lbs)
10 x 10kg (22lbs)
10 x 10kg (22lbs)







My most prized possession after 3 weeks of grueling & breathtaking (I know it's not used in these kinda situation) DTP sessions.

 


















 After FST-7 on my arms. I took pictures and posed a little. The CRAZIEST pumps since a very long time ago.



2 comments:

  1. Do you tend to reduce the intensity during exam period? How do you balance work and training?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't whether if it was the exams period of the great economical crisis, when you hit the gym, it's game time. When you go off into the gym, forsake whatever you have in your mind and just focus on pounding the weights. That's it, plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Look at me, I am not famous!