Thursday 24 March 2011

DTP Week 1 Day 3 -- Shoulders, calves & abs

The title seems a little long but if I wanna shorten it, I would just call it "The Weakest Muscles Day". True enough, these 3 body parts are the 3 weakest at the moment.

Warm up was a little awkward because I've never used the side lateral raise machine ever. I did 3 sets of 15 at 22.7kg (50lbs). I went to the circuit gym and continued my warm up with 2 sets of rotators cuff movements, making sure that my superspinatus will be injury-free by the end of the workout. Just light weight with 5kg (11lbs) on each hand for 15 reps.

So today I decided to go on with dumbbell side lateral raises for my DTP and since delts has always been one of my weakest, I figured that I might have to do DTP drop sets. But we'll see:

1st set: 50 x 5kg (11lbs)
Trust me, it ain't easy at all, even with such light weight. I paused at rep 40 then finish the last 10 in one go. This sounds insane but my delts were already pumped.

2nd set: 40 x 6kg (13lbs)
Second set and I've started using the rest-pause technique. Crazy, I know, but it was pumping really well.

3rd set: 30 x 8kg (18lbs)
18lbs seriously felt like 36lbs by now. Crazy shit! I really felt like dropping half a kg (1lbs) but I was determined to not drop weights, at least not till I finish the first 5 sets or I might slack off and dropping weights instead of struggling through the pain.

4th set: 20 x 10kg (22lbs)
I usually warm up with this weight on other routines, but this time, I realized such light weight can burn my delts so intensely. MADNESS!

5th set: 10 x 12.5kg (28lbs)
10 reps felt like a hundred! A drop of sweat literally drip down my face with every single rep. After the set, I couldn't even lift my arm up high, can't go past 90 degrees!

6th set: 10 x 12.5kg (28lbs)
It took me 2 seconds for each rep, pausing at every step of the way. It felt so heavy that I swing a little to make sure the reps did not become partial reps. As Big Kris said, this is not called cheating, it's "control cheating" where we emphasize on the negatives more.

7th set: 20 x 10kg (22lbs)
Man, I was dying! It was really tempting to drop weights but I told myself that it's only 20 reps, so why drop? Just get on with it and use more rest-pause, keep the intensity high up.

8th set: 30 x 8kg (18lbs)
At about my 15th rep, I wanted to drop the weights to 6kg (13lbs) but it seems to light so I called off the idea, only to find out there were two 7.5kg (17lbs) dumbbells beside which I previously took from the rack. LOL! But it was good, it means that I didn't drop!

9th set: 40 x 6kg (13lbs)
I was literally shouting "light weight" after every other 5 seconds and shouting during the last 5 reps. I guessed I must have been really annoying since this set took me a really long while to get it done. My delts were burning like hell then.

10th set: 50 x 5kg (11lbs)
The first 20 reps, I was flying. The next 30, I was crawling. I looked into the mirror when I did the set and it was as red as a tomato. My delts sore so much that racking up the dumbbells is difficult.



20 minutes into the gym with another extra 5 minutes rest, I went to hit on calves with seated calves raise. I know DTP doesn't apply to calves but as usual, I always like to add in a little spice of my own when I train using certain workout routines:

1st set: 30 x 50kg (110lbs)
I hold for like one count at maximum contraction on each rep and it was already burning.

2nd set: 20 x 80kg (176lbs)
I was still feeling OK though but the pump was definitely kicking in.

3rd set: 10 x 110kg (243lbs)
OK, I was starting to struggle and I was worried that I might not have the strength to rack it up and I might get stuck. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

4th set: 5 x 150kg (331lbs)
Without that spotter I grabbed outta nowhere, I couldn't imagine what would happen to my calves that were gonna be stuck there for eternity. The burn was immense and it felt absolutely HOT!

5th set: 5 x 150kg (331lbs)
One word to describe it: "FIRE!!!"

6th set: 10 x 110kg (243lbs)
Good set and I almost reach failure. Crazy ass pump down the legs.

7th set: 20 x 80kg (176lbs)
I could feel the burn, so hot that I was about to give in but I don't know where I got the determination to finish the set. But who cares? I did it, didn't I?

8th set: 30 x 50kg (110lbs)
I bet my face was twisting when I did the set. Enough said.

I then went up stairs and finish off my calves with 3 sets of 20 on the calves raise machine at 45.3kg (100lbs) with only about 10 seconds rest in between. Trust me, if you do this too, your calves will burn, I mean, literally burn.


Right after I finish my calves, I saw a guy doing upright rows and I thought, since my traps need to peak up as well, I might as well do some upright rows, and so I did 3 set of 15 at 27.2kg (60lbs), 31.8kg (70lbs) and 36.3kg (80lbs).


Last but not least, my abs. I've always did high reps for my abs and today was no exception. I did it a little differently than how I usually do it though. What I did was superset crunches and raised-legged crunches then add weights by holding dumbbells on my chest then continue with no rests in between sets. So 25+25 with body only, 20+20 with 5kg (11lbs), 15+15 with 10kg (22lbs), 20+20 with 5kg (11lbs) and finally, 25+25 with body only. I stood up a hunchback because my abs were so tight that it pulls my body round...LOL!


So this concludes the day and man, I seriously is in love with this routine now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Look at me, I am not famous!