Friday 8 February 2013

DTP, Weights & Walking Sticks


Confession: I hate legs’ day. If you tell me that if I can avoid putting a bar behind my back and squat and I can still grow massive legs, I will never do it. And apparently, Dorian Yates believes that is so. But I’m a man who believes in stats and data and they are telling me that squat is an exercise that is inevitable.

Luckily for our DTP session this time doesn’t involve squats. Despite that, it didn’t make me hate legs’ days any less. So yes, DTP legs involve working entirely on a leg press machine and in the past, that how I did them too:

But this time as I was warming up on the treadmill, I didn’t feel quite right with my right knee. So I mixed it up a little, as usual.

Like chest and backs day, I did supersets of isolation exercise for quads and hamstrings with leg extensions and seated leg curls. Oh God why? Halfway through the workout, I absolutely regretted that choice. But what’s gonna be done has to be done so no bitchin’!

OK, so the first set was 50 reps of leg extensions, supersetting with 50 reps of seated leg curls. I hate high repetitions on legs, especially on quads. It burns so badly that I already started to think it was a bad idea to approach this workout in such fashion.

Anyway, I continued to 40, 30, 20 then 10. By the time I reached the 6th set, the second heaviest set, my legs were so pumped up that I couldn’t even stand properly. Endured it all the way till the 9th set and shit happened. My calves almost cramped up between the 30th-40th rep, somewhere there so I had to stop. Why? Yeah, my toes were pointing straight, causing immense stress on my calves. Idiot me. And by that time, I was feeling a little sick so I knew I couldn’t go on anymore. This must have been the effect of me taking too long of a break. My cardio was definitely down and I couldn’t breathe well.

So I stopped during the 9th set and the workout couldn’t be finished. But two days later, when the DOMS set in, it was still killing me and it lasted quite a few days actually.

So, what did get from this failed session? I am never gonna skip cardio again. Well, I’ll try not to skip. A lotta people think that when it comes to bodybuilding, cardio is unnecessary and as a matter a fact, some even think that doing cardio actually causes a hindrance towards their muscle growth. But the thing is that everybody misunderstood the function of cardio exercise here. And that, we can discuss about it in a whole new post. Yes, I have a lotta posts to be created for discussion and I have A LOT of catching up to do. As for now, adios! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Look at me, I am not famous!