Tuesday 29 January 2013

Getting Back On Track: DTP Style

Alright, my personal life has been kind of a mess for the past 2 months and everything is kinda over now. But this isn't a blog where people come see me whine, that has been done a couple of times and I think most of you are fed up with it. So now, let's talk about something more serious. My road to recovery, DTP Style.

I have been going to the gym, not as regular but I'm getting there. The frequency is increasing and my motivation level is starting to get back up, bit by bit.
I do not know if it is a blessing in disguise or what but due to the lack of workout sessions and irregular diet (skipping meals and all), I lost like more or less 5lbs so I'm weighing at 170lbs flat but I look leaner, meaner and fuller than I have ever been. Weird...

Anyway, the sessions in the past 2 weeks haven't been very smooth. I didn't seem to lose a lotta strength but my muscle endurance dropped drastically, as well as my cardio. So I have decided, DTP is the way to go. I thought that by punishing myself, both physically and mentally in the gym should be able get my thoughts straight. True enough, it's starting to work.

I have worked on DTP before so I know how brutal it is. Torturing, yes yet very much effective. I kinda worked on my pecs and legs with DTP but kinda cheated with incorporation with other exercises to convince myself that I have done enough.

Today though, I decided that I must go through with the full thing whether I like it or not. OK, since my pecs are still in agony from the workout 3 days ago, I wasn't able to follow exactly how Kris Gethin designed for DTP pecs and backs day. So I added a little twist on my own. My backs have always been lacking, especially endurance. So what I did was agonist super sets standing double-armed dumbbell rows with lats pull down. So rather than doing 10 straight sets, my partner, Hector and I did 8 agonist super sets. So following the Dramatic Transformation Principle, the workout is in a pyramid fashion then invert pyramid sets.

We first warmed up with 3 sets of chin-ups. I know, Big Kris doesn't recommend to warm up since the first 2 sets are light weights with extremely high repetitions but that doesn't mean he isn't encouraging. Anyway, for the first set, we did 30 reps of standing double-armed dumbbell rows then super-setting with 30 reps of lats pull down. Then moved on to 20, 10 and finally 5. Unlike what was shown in the video in the link below, we didn't do 2 sets of 5's, we just did a single super set of 5's:
Kris Gethin's DTP Chest & Back Workout - Bodybuilding.com

After which, when it was time to work back on the invert pyramid portion of the workout, as advised by Kris, we did a slightly varied version of the dumbbell rows. As we pulled the weights up, we pointed our elbows slightly outwards at about 45 degrees to focus a little more on the rhomboids. Now, we have to be careful not to go too wide because that will involve the posterior deltoids. As for the lats pull down, we leaned back so that as we pulled, the bar was almost 90 degrees upwards. That way, the rhomboids are very much more involved as opposed to the usual lats pull down. If you don't get what I mean, check out this article on Flex Lewis on Bodybuilding.com:
Flex Lewis: Old-School Training With New-School Thinking
Scroll down to almost half the page where you see Flex leaning back on his close-grip lats pull down + variation. In our case, it is about the same but we stuck with the wide grip bar.

And as shown on the video in the link above, yes, the final two sets were the most excruciating, especially the last one. I felt like puking and it was so exhausting that I started cursing and yelling for the final 20 reps or so.

It has been like an hour and a half past the end of the session and my lats are already starting to feel the sore. As my lats usually have a DOMS of about 2 days, I don't think it will sore as much tomorrow but as for the day after, I have a feeling I will be handicapped. Serious, all jokes aside, I really do feel that I'm gonna suffer in the next two days.

So tomorrow will be arms day. We will be working in antagonist super set style on cables. I'll try to update my workout tomorrow if I do not have any urgent emails coming my way tomorrow night.

As for now, that's all I've got. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Look at me, I am not famous!